Grounded in traditional college preparation, Midland is a leader in place-based and experiential education. Using our 2,860 acres as a home base, Midland’s curriculum offers a vibrant and challenging exploration of place, spanning environment, history, and culture. Growing our food, generating our electricity, and knowing where our water comes from prepares students to be informed citizens and active participants. Midland’s 4:1 student to faculty ratio and our work ethic ensures that every student is known, valued, and needed in this intentional community.
Midland School provides a unique college prep boarding school experience to a diverse student body. Through study and work, it teaches the value of a lifetime of learning, self-reliance, simplicity, responsibility to community and the environment, and a love for the outdoors.
Midland School is a community of students, teachers, and families in pursuit of academic excellence and moral lives. We are guided by the following principles:
· The essential ingredients of learning are a student, a teacher, and an idea.
· A high quality college preparatory education should be accessible to families of all economic means.
· A simple, self-reliant lifestyle, close to nature, teaches us to develop our inner resources, to distinguish between needs and wants, and to appreciate life’s fundamental joys and challenges.
· A school community entrusting students with authentic leadership roles, emphasizing individual and collective responsibility, and relying on its own work to meet its basic needs, prepares students to take care of themselves and to serve others.
· Connection to the environment, through academic education and everyday example, teaches students to be good stewards of the earth.